WHAT I'VE WRITTEN - LATEST ITEMS:
Data Moving Across Borders: The Future of Digital Trade Policy - April 2016 think piece co-authored with Alice Enders for the E15 Initiative, on how trade policy can mobilize to support he new digital economy of the twenty-first century.
Case summary - WTO cases 2014 through early 2015 - summary of key points and takeaways from the case law, prepared for panel on WTO Year in Review 2014-15, International Trade Law Update program 27 February 2015.
“The Legal Affairs Division and Law in the Uruguay Round and the GATT”, in Gabrielle Marceau, ed., A History of Law and Lawyers in the GATT/WTO (Cambridge University Press, June 2015); also "Introduction and Overview" (co-authored with Gabrielle Marceau and Ari Baker), in same volume.
The WTO Secretariat's comprehensive and systematic collection of all WTO legal precedents in WTO dispute settlement decisions and other WTO practice. Contributor to this work (on contract to the Secretariat). Third edition, 2012 (covering 1995-Sept. 2011); 2 vols/2408 pages/45 tables. WTO/Cambridge University Press 2012. Available in hard cover from the WTO bookshop and Amazon, and online on the WTO website.
The most comprehensive guide to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), which preceded the WTO and forms the core of the WTO Agreement. Compiled from GATT dispute settlement panel reports, negotiating records and other documents from the 50-year history of the GATT (from post-WWII negotiations through termination of "GATT 1947" on 31 December 1995). Covers every GATT provision plus chapters on GATT institutional law and documentary sources. Sixth & final ed., 1996. Out of print (see online used book sites). Republished 2012 in PDF format and available on the WTO website.
Collection of essays on the intersection between politics and international law, and how the fingerprints of the "visible hand" can be seen all over the institutions that underpin the rules of globalization: Cambridge University Press, 2011. Edited with Tomer Broude and Marc Busch. Available from CUP or online bookstores.
Authored a survey on dispute settlement in preferential trade agreements (PTAs) for this World Bank handbook and survey on policy areas covered in PTAs and their political economy and development dimensions. My chapter surveys dispute resolution provisions in PTAs around the globe. Available from online bookstores, downloadable from the World Bank International Trade Department and readable online at issuu.com.
OTHER RECENT ARTICLES
- “Climate Change and Renewable Energy Scale Up: Responding to Challenges Posed to the WTO”, with Thomas Brewer, think piece for E15 Initiative, International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, 2014.
- "Beyond Discrimination: The WTO Appellate Body Parses the TBT Agreement in US — Clove Cigarettes, US — Tuna II (Mexico) and US — COOL", 14 Melbourne J. of International Law 699 (2014) (with Joshua Meltzer).
ALSO (see also downloadable texts at Academia.edu)
- “FDI Growth in Asia: The Potential for Treaty-Based Investment Protection,” in The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2009, GlobalArbitrationReview.com; co-authored.
- “How much postal reform in Japanese postal privatization?” in Handbook of Worldwide Postal Reform, J.Campbell, ed., Elgar, 2008; co-authored.
- “The Future of International Economic Law Practice,” in International Economic Law: The State and Future of the Discipline, C.Picker, I.Bunn and D.Arner, eds., Hart Publishing, 2008.
- “The Privatization of Japan Post,” in Progress Toward Liberalization of the Postal and Delivery Sector, M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer, eds., Springer Verlag, 2006; co-authored.
- “The United States in the WTO”, in The World Trade Organization: Legal, Economic and Political Analysis, Springer Verlag, 2004; co-authored.
- “Settling WTO Disputes: What Do Litigation Models Tell Us?” 19 Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution 141-184 (2003). Reprinted in D. Steger, ed., The World Trade Organization, Routledge, 2014.
- “Robert Hudec and Domestic Regulation: The Resurrection of Aim and Effects,” with Joel Trachtman, 37 Journal of World Trade 783-799, August 2003.
- Beef and Citrus (US-Japan negotiations on agricultural trade), pp. 233-264 in Reciprocity and Retaliation in US Trade Policy, K. Elliott and T.O. Bayard, PIIE, 1994.
- “U.S.-Japan Trade Negotiations: Paradigms Lost”, pp. 305-324 in Paul Krugman, ed., Trade with Japan: has the door opened wider? National Bureau of Economic Research/University of Chicago Press, 1991, 1994.