I've been operating my own practice since 2009. Before then, I was at the international law firms Sidley Austin (2002-2009) and Powell Goldstein Frazer & Murphy (2000-2002). Before 2000, I was the Senior Counsel for Dispute Settlement and head of enforcement at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) in Washington, DC. I managed USTR's WTO and NAFTA litigation docket, and strategy and procedural issues, participating in over 100 cases during the WTO's first five years. I led the US interagency policymaking body on dispute settlement and represented the US government in negotiations. I argued cases to WTO panels and the WTO Appellate Body and litigated dispute settlement cases in NAFTA. I also advised on the trillion-dollar Information Technology Agreement, and on trade negotiations with the European Communities.
From 1990-94, I was a Senior Legal Officer and Counsellor in the Secretariat of the GATT (the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade), in Geneva, Switzerland, during the Uruguay Round negotiations that led to the WTO Agreement. I helped delegations and Secretariat officials draft the agreements in the WTO package, including the General Agreement on Trade in Services and a number of the WTO agreements on trade in goods. I assisted GATT dispute settlement panels, and was principal author of the Secretariat's official compendium of GATT law, the Analytical Index of the GATT.
In 1980-90, as a USTR lawyer (and eventually Associate General Counsel), I advised on trade negotiations with Japan and others and litigated GATT disputes for the United States. I was USTR's Director for Subsidies and Antidumping Policy in 1981-85. I advised on government procurement trade and standards trade issues. I also spent much time on trade legislation and legislative drafting.
Education: Harvard Law School (JD cum laude), Kennedy School of Government (MPP), Cornell University (BA), Kyoto University (non-degree student, Japanese politics/industrial policy).
Languages: native speaker of English, fluent in French, reading fluency in Japanese and Spanish.
Bar admissions: District of Columbia, U.S. Court of International Trade, Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Honors, recognition and awards:
- Selected as member, Roster of External Counsel for the Advisory Centre on WTO Law in Geneva - the ACWL provides legal assistance to developing countries in WTO disputes
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal - Trade and Customs in 2015 as one of the "most highly regarded individuals" in trade and customs law worldwide; Who's Who Legal noted that I am “extremely well known” for my “world-class” WTO practice and “marvellous awareness” of issues relating to free trade agreements and market access. Listed in all years since 2009.
- Recognized by Chambers Global 2012 as "well versed in WTO and bilateral trade disputes, representing both governments and stakeholders"; recognized for expertise in trade policy advice and WTO representation, Chambers USA 2012
- Recognized by Euromoney Legal Media Group Expert Guides: World's Leading International Trade Lawyers 2016 (and all years since 2011); Women in Business Law (International Trade) since 2012
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America 2017 and earlier years, Best Law Firms 2016 and earlier years
Public service/professional activities:
- Society for International Economic Law: Founding Committee, 2007-08; pro bono counsel, 2007-2010; corporate secretary, 2010-2016; member, Executive Committee, 2010-present.
- Expert, The E15 Initiative: Strengthening the Global Trade System, 2013-present: experts groups on clean energy technologies, climate change and trade, and the digital economy.
- International Trade Update, Georgetown University Law Center: Program co-chair of principal US continuing legal education program in trade and customs law, 2001-2016; co-chair emeritus, 2016-present.
- American Society for International Law Executive Council 1990-95; co-chaired the International Economic Law Interest Group 2007-09; vice-chair, International Law and Technology Interest Group, 2016-present; ASIL Insights editor 2008-2012 (economic law).
- Chair, International Trade Committee, International Law Association American Branch, 2014-present.
- American Bar Association International Trade Steering Group, since 1994; DC Bar International Trade Committee, co-chair 1986-88.
- Commissioner, Japan-US Friendship Commission, 2006-2012.
- Pro bono counsel for public-private partnerships in international health: Roll Back Malaria Partnership, 2006, 2008; Stop TB Partnership, 2004.